11.05.2007

Back Story .........Guillian Barre Syndrome

I guess a little back story would be appropriate here .

I am the mother of three & I am by trade a floral and interior designer....... I owned and operated a retail boutique for 7 years ..... however it was time for a hiatus, a change ......we were becoming burnt out ,creativity was taking a backseat and personal time???.........plus...

My beloved father became ill .....and needed bypass surgery.
During his recovery at our home............ my eldest child 17 at the time ,my darling boy became very sick.
At first it was a mystery what was wrong he slowly( over a period of 6 wks) deteriorated eventually unable to walk ,undo buttons ,swallow food without choking etc...
We knew it was a neurological disorder .........so long story short minus the bullshit( there was allot his status as a child/adult prevented timely(er )treatment) he was treated for chronic as in not acute Gillian Barre Syndrome . Well Anytime I mention this syndrome to anyone they look at me like what the hell is that? Precisely why I wanted to mention it.
He has since recovered it was frightening and frustrating that brings us to now ........

We were very fortunate that A) he was young and strong ( he has always been health conscious and worked out everyday) and B) that the immunoglobulin therapy worked in combination with occupational and physical therapy .

The whole back story is to shed light on this RARE and unknown disease called Gillian Barre Syndrome please if you are curious go to the link below for more information. If you or someone you know?of has been touched by this syndrome and you want to share please leave a comment or e-mail me @ fleursbliss@gmail.com and with permission I will post your story too.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

No comments: